Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Spread Offense and Constraint Plays


If you've followed my twitter (@MiramarSports) for a while, you know that I've been reading a lot about the X's and O's of Football. I'm trying to learn as much as I can, because it interests me. And, I want to be as knowledgeable as possible when providing analysis/impressions from the game action that I cover, both here and on the other blogs that I contribute to.

I've come across some great blogs, the best of which being Football Study Hall, FishDuck (dedicated to Oregon Football), and the top dog: Smart Football. There is so much great writing about so many different topics in sports, there's really no reason for anybody who desires more knowledge about a subject to lack that information. It's out there, and it's FREE!!!

Apart from being the awesome, amazing, dynamic Choral Director that I am, and the insightful, coherent, informative blogger that I am (I know, humility is one of my strong points), I love video games. I've been a huge gamer since the original NES system, and that has not stopped just because I'm a "grown up" now. In fact, it may have gotten worse.

Now, what does my being a gamer have to do with Constraint Plays and Spread Offensive Theory? The link is actually quite clear: I run spread offense when playing NCAA13 (and it's previous iterations). I've created new playbooks (once they introduced that option) and I'm always tinkering with how to be the most effective I possibly can be. I've read (and tried to apply) these concepts to my gaming, with pretty good success.

So, now, that I've given you the long story long on what I've been reading, and how I've been using it, it's time to share with you some of the knowledge I've obtained.

1. All Spreads are NOT the same
Consider this for a second:

West Virginia has been running a spread since Rich Rodriguez was coach. When he was there, WVU ranked in the top 10 in rushing yard average per game in 6 of his 7 years as Head Coach. 

Now, with Dana Holgorsen (and to a lesser extent Bill Stewart) have taken Rodriguez's spread and made it a passing attack. With Geno Smith having the same number of INCOMPLETIONS as touchdowns to this point of the season (9 of each. Yes...really), I think that's a pretty clear shift.

Here's another one for you: Auburn with Cam Newton - Spread to run. (Insert school where Mike Leach coaches) - Spread to pass. Oregon - Spread to run. New Mexico State - Spread to pass.

Yeah, there are a LOT of different ways to run the spread.

2. Horizontal is more important than Vertical
Spread offenses are predicated on one central idea: getting playmakers in space one-on-one with a defender, where (presumably) they will have a speed or skill advantage.

Offensive playmakers usually have plenty of "shake" to them, or at least enough speed to quickly escape a defensive player. This happens through a variety of tricks, but mainly by SPREADING the defense wide across the field, taking away their leverage advantage.

While every spread offense must find a way to throw the ball deep, if for no other reason than to keep the defense honest, moving the ball wide, from side to side, is the thing that will inevitably create lanes for the skill position players to operate.

3. Tempo matters
Spread offensive is most effective when you run it at a fast tempo. When you have more plays, you have more chances to catch the defense out of position, or with a severe mismatch (think an slow linebacker covering Alex Lee or Cameron Rigby on a swing pass).

Basically, this is putting the quantity of plays over the quality.

4. Skill Players make all the difference
In an offensive system where you want to get mismatches with your supremely talented skill players, the quality of those players can mean the difference between a 3 yard loss or a 91 yard touchdown.

Don't believe me? Check out this video of Oregon RB/WR/KR/PR/Blur of light DeAnthony Thomas from the Rose Bowl. Wisconsin still hasn't found him.

Alright, so now, you're wondering "what in the world is a Constraint Play"? Basically, they're variations on staples you run that are specifically designed to make the defense pay for "cheating", or trying to guess what the offense is going to do.

Here are some articles that do a better job explaining them that I could.
So, basically, Spread Offense comes down to this:
  1. What is your identity as a team? Run-based or Pass-based spread?
  2. How are you manipulating defenders?
  3. What tempo are you running your offense at? Regular, fast, or "Oregon"?
  4. Do you have the players to take advantage of your leverage and space advantages?
Depending on those things, you may, or may not be successful.

Trust me, there's MUCH more where that came from. If you want more, you can hop on Google, or just ask me. I'll point you in the right direction.

But the articles above should give you a little better idea of what I'm looking at as I watch the Patriots play on Fridays, and also gives you a little more foundation to understand what I've been talking about in my recent recaps.


I'm a teacher for a living.


Hope you learned something.


Until Next Time,


Cameron J. Underwood
Miramar Sports


No comments:

Post a Comment